It's the end of the month, and that means it's Int'l Bloggers Club Challenge time. For those of you who are here for the first time, this is a monthly challenge that I participate in with my blogger friends who live all over the world. We meet up each month to compare notes and see how we do things in our corner of the world. Last month, we created outdoor projects, and the month before we looked at our epic hits and fails.
This month we're doing crafts with tin cans - any kind of tin cans. We all have them at home and why throw them out when we can reuse them for storage? Today I'll be showing you how to upcycle them and make pretty cookie tin cans with fabric.
I had a collection of cookie tins cans that I wanted to use for storing things. But they didn't look so pretty. So I decided to upcyle them with fabric.
Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links. If you purchase any of these products through the links, I receive a small commission, that way I can continue to provide you with lovely content. There is no extra charge to you for purchasing through my affiliate links.
What I used for this project
The How - To
This was the fabric I chose to use for the upcycle project. It's pretty and because I'm from Greece I like to use bright colors with some of that aqua blue in there to remind me of the sea.
I cut the fabric about three times the width of the side of the tin. For the length I wrapped the fabric around the tin, plus four fingers.
Once it was cut, I folded it over one third of the way and pressed it down. That fold would go on the top rim of the tin.
Now it was time to start gluing it on with Mod Podge.
I first brushed the mod podge on the outside of the tin. I added a little at a time because it dries really fast. Then I pressed the fabric with the fold on the top of the opened tin. I slowly worked my way around the whole exterior of the tin in this way. I used the fold as a guide. The fold was on the top rim of the tin.
Here you can see that the fabric has been glued all around on the exterior except for the edge.
The edge was folded over but first I applied mod podge so that the fold was glued onto itself.
More mod podge was applied to the folded edge and then pressed down onto the tin side. This gives us a nice crisp look.
Next it was time to tackle the interior. I applied the mod podge on the inside of the tin. You can work much faster than the exterior because you don't have to worry about the fabric since it has already been secured.
This is the second third of the fabric. I just pressed the fabric down to the insides of the tin.
I pressed the fabric all around and tucked it to the bottom of the edges leaving the excess on the bottom.
The Exterior Bottom
Now it was time to tackle the bottom of the tin. I was working with the last third of the fabric for the bottom. I cut the excess fabric into strips.
Working with one strip at a time, I would apply mod podge and press the strip down to the tin. As I went around, the fabric strips ended up being glued on top of each other.
The round hole in the center was covered with a small piece of fabric that I'd cut into a circular shape.
The Interior Bottom
I'm Mary and I recently moved to New York from beautiful Greece. I like to re-purpose and up-cycle anything that is old or looks like junk. Join me as we use our creativity to spark some life into old things. And do it frugally! You will also see lots of photography of my Greece and New York.
Top Posts for 2018